1.31.2011

Kai's 4th Birthday

Kai is four. Can you believe it? It seems my life can be divided into two stages: before Kai and after Kai.

Kai has changed my life in so many incredible ways. I remember right before giving birth to Kai, after my water broke, pausing and feeling like I was stepping off a cliff that I had waited to be at for so long and I was so glad somebody had finally pushed me.

I knew my life would change but I really couldn't imagine how. Sure, I knew I wouldn't sleep (I just couldn't guess he would never sleep though!). I knew I would love him with my whole being. I knew he would grow up supported and loved. I knew there would be so much more though that I didn't dare to even try to guess at. I knew by birthing Kai, I was giving birth to myself as a mama.

Becoming a mom has made me such a better person. I realize I do have a well of patience. I often surprise myself with how calm I can remain. I have a mama bear sense of protection. The first time I was put in the position to feel this it was powerful. It felt like a surge (and now has turned into a funny story of how I threatened our neighbors who were dealing drugs. Ok, that doesn't sound funny in the least. But, it was and now they aren't dealing drugs so it's a happy ending, I promise). I realize my Nonny's advice was correct: sometimes you just have to go to bed and try better in the morning. I ask for help better. I accept people more for who they are and not for who I wish they could be. I make amends with little ones and bigger people. I know there is power in saying "I'm sorry and I will try better next time." I follow my gut. I trust in the process and know that one bad day or one bad week or one bad month doesn't inform who my children will be in the future or who I am as a mom. I have learned to laugh more. I prioritize snuggling over cleaning. I turn on the radio and dance like a crazy lady on fire. I say the serenity prayer a lot. I sit back and am in awe of this precious little tiger who grows smarter each and every day.

So, Kai, my big 4 year old, you have been my wise teacher. Your compassion, optimism, and intuitive spirit are remarkable. Your ability to easily forgive and to love so enthusiastically is appreciated. Your energy, quirks, and silliness are honored. I love you.

Happy 4th Birthday to you!



We had a superhero theme party. Every guest made capes to bring home. We got the idea from the Living Locurto website. Thanks for the inspiration!
We played a lot of games (Kai's only wish at his party). Instead of "Duck, Duck, Grey Duck" we played, "Bad Guy, Bad Guy, Superhero." We had a parachute that we played "Superhero, Superhero Go So Fast" (instead of the water game, "Motor Boat, Motor Boat, Go So Slow"). My favorite though was playing the Batman Theme Song and then stopping the song and having all of the dancers FREEZE. And, then as you can tell, the pinata was a bit hit. Yes, Kai is wearing his underwear over his long underwear in the above photo. It was his idea for his superhero costume. And, last but not least, we made up an obstacle course where everyone's superhero senses were tested. See, it really was fun.
Look at this face! A friend asked me how I felt about presents and the materialism of them. I offer this photo as answer and an example of why presents can be good: Surprise and gratitude are two wonderful things for a 4 year old to experience. [on a separate note, this photo answers my very important question of whether or not I should get a hair cut. Yes!]
Ruby had her own cape too! In a feat of superhero strength, she didn't even pull it off.

3 comments:

MeganG said...

What a moving tribute to your boy! This is one for the baby book.

zinnia said...

love you and love this party! wish we could have come!

Kate said...

I love this post. That feeling of being remade by motherhood is so difficult to imagine before having a kid-- or to describe to others, isn't it?